Monday, January 17, 2011

Git on Windows (7)

For anyone who hasn't heard of git, the cvs system designed and written by Linus Torvalds, git is awesome. I mean, line by line commits? And it's so easy!

My apollogies if this article isn't fancy and error free; I'm sick & tired (I love the kids, but hate what they carry).

First thing's second: we can actually skip installing git and go straight to the gui interface, because that will give us the option to install git. I'm not terribly keen on Tortoise - it's a pain to navigate the right-click menu - so I'm testing git extensions.

Installing Git Extensions:
Install MsysGit.
Install KDiff3.
Progress through a few default options; it's nice to see that it will integrate into Visual Studio 2010! I wonder what that will look like?

After installation is complete, open up Git Extensions and add a name, etc. These are, of course, to identify you as the author of any code you commit.

No comments:

Post a Comment