Saturday, July 10, 2010

Installing Bazaar on Bluehost

I've decided to move my content conversioning system (CVS) off of my local system to I don't have to worry so much about my apartment burning down. I've got a bluehost server, so it seems like a good place to put it. Of course, that also means I have to set it up myself, since bluehost doesn't have a script to do it, and naturally I couldn't find a guide anywhere to do it - so I decided to write one myself.

I'm assuming in this guide that you have access to a brain, and a shell session to your bluehost box. I like to use putty myself, dirt simple. Yes, I'm lazy, so I didn't compile this information into a script - it'd be a great little project for someone!

Grabbing the Source
First thing's first: I'm going to need to install from source, because I don't have access to the CentOS's yum package installer. I grabed the latest stable release, bzr-2.1.2.tar.gz, from https://launchpad.net/bzr/+download. It's nice to know that every release the bzr team has put out is available there for download.

Installing Dependencies
On to the next step: dependencies. The Bazaar install instructions indicate a number of dependencies that I'll go through as needed. Bazaar uses python, and bluehost doesn't permit users to install python eggs in the default location, so there's some prep work required beforehand. You'll need to upload all the files to your bluehost server using ftp cPanel, or just use wget.

     Preparing your PATH (per bluehost instructions)

  1. Add the following to .bashrc (I had to revise "python" to "python2.4":
    1. export PYTHONPATH=$HOME/.local/lib/python2.4/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH
    2. export PYTHONPATH=$HOME/.local/lib64/python2.4/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH
    3. export PYTHONPATH=$HOME/lib/python:$PYTHONPATH
    4. export PYTHONPATH=$HOME/lib64/python:$PYTHONPATH
    5. export PATH=$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH
    6. export PYTHONPATH=$HOME/[path to bzrtools directory, e.g. $HOME/.bazaar/plugins]:$PYTHONPATH
  2. Log off
  3. Log back on
Dependencies: Installing Python Eggs on Bluehost
  1. Un-tar the egg
  2. cd into the egg directory
  3. python setup.py build
  4. python setup.py install --prefix=$HOME/.local
    Dependencies


  • Python >= 2.4
    • python -V yields Python 2.4.3, so I'm good there.
     Eggs (use python -c "import [egg name]" to test installation - no response is good)
Installing Bazaar
And now, finally, run make, then python setup.py install --home $HOME. Kind of anticlimactic, really.ls ~/

bzrTools
To instal bzrTools, simply grab the version that corresponds to your version of bzr, extract it, and copy over the bzrtools dir to the path you set up in the section titled preparing your PATH.

No comments:

Post a Comment